Holga Photography Workshop
The purest process
- Learn to make images using a camera with no light meter, two aperture settings and one shutter speed
- Discover medium format film, alternative styles and surrealism
- Experiment with movement, multiple exposures, vignetting and light leaks
Schedule and pricing
- Theory in the morning and practical photography in the afternoon
- The workshop is one day 9h30-17h30 week or weekends
- Book your date directly with Oliver: firstname.lastname@example.org 078.765.39.23
- Please note: you need to provide your own film and organise processing. We can lend you a Holga for the workshop.
- Individual workshop CHF 350.-
- Additional participants CHF 100.- / person
The Holga was intended to be an affordable and simple-to-use snapshot camera for the Chinese working-class masses, first made in the early nineteen eighties. It’s made of plastic and has a simple meniscus fixed-focus 60mm lens and single shutter speed (about 1/100) and aperture settings of f/11 and f/8, but these specs are questionable. Which is part of the point and appeal — the Holga is incredibly imprecise and its lens and body introduce vignetting, light leaks and distortions. Photographing with a Holga is a great experiment, you’ll experience photography without using of any technology. Removing all controls for exposure and focus, forces the photographer to approach the image-making process differently – that’s how the magic happens. The low tech camera creates unique visual characteristics.
What you will learn
- The Holga camera: lens, aperture, shutter and flash
- How to use: loading film, focus, flash and bulb
- Exposure and ISO: photographing without a light meter
- Characteristics: vignetting, soft focus, movement, light leaks and distortion
- Multiple exposures: classic double exposure and overlapping multiple exposures
- Film types and push processing
- The Holga aesthetic: surrealism, reportage and the snap-shot
- Image-making: pre-visuliasation and adapting your shooting approach
- 10h00-12h30: Theory presentations and slideshows
- 13h00-14h00: Lunch in a local restaurant (not included in workshop price)
- 14h30-17H30: 4 different shooting locations to cover specific ideas, with briefings and demonstrations
- 17h30: Finish in Geneva city center
- A feedback session is included on a weeknight after the workshop has taken place
- 4, Esplanade de Pont-Rouge, 1212 Grand Lancy (Geneva city: Etoile / Acacias area).
- Public transport: tram 15 buses 21, 43, D stop P+R Etoile. Train station: Lancy Pont-Rouge.
Here are samples from introduction workshops and courses, including street photographs. You can also check out the intermediate and advanced with this link galleries.