Introduction to Photographic Style
Developing your own style
- Experiment with different techniques discovering a range of visual languages
- Learn how to apply specific visual characteristics to build your desired vision
- Discover the work of master photographers and get inspired
Schedule and pricing
- Each photo course is comprised of five two-hour sessions
- Individual course: flexible schedule day, evenings or weekends
- Schedule your classes directly with Oliver : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Price CHF 800.-
- Valid 12 months
This five-part course is designed for those who have either completed the introduction course, beginner workshop, intermediate class or already have the basic fundamentals of photography under their command. You need to be able to control shutter speed, aperture, ISO using either a DSLR or a compact you can set manually. You don’t need to be an advanced photographer or own fancy equipment. All you need is a desire to learn, experiment with photography. During the course you’ll be exposed to a range of styles, with visual analysis. You will learn both the technical and practical elements of how each style is created. We teach you first how to experiment using different techniques, learning how to create visual characteristics: which then focuses your vision, for a particular style. You will experiment and and put into practice a range of styles, shooting for your homework assignments (4 assignments in total). We review your homework at the beginning of each class with feedback and discussion.
What you will learn
- We will teach you in simple terms how to first experiment, and then combine camera settings, practical decisions, desired visual effects, in order to create your own style
- Visual characteristics: black and white, color, saturation, tone / hues, contrast, flash, ambient lighting, composition, movement, blur, depth of field, focal length and more!
- Camera settings: you will learn how to set your camera so you can get the desired effects (listed above, visual characteristics) you need to create a specific approach.
- Flash photography: introduction to using flash lighting, the flash aesthetic, contrast and shadows, basic flash lighting techniques (direct, diffused, zoom, off camera, multiple flashes), flash look, ambient light with flash.
- Get inspired and ideas from acclaimed photographers: Alex Webb, Max Pinckers, Karl de Keyzer, Martin Parr, Alec Soth, Paolo Pellegrin, William Eggleston, Antonin Krotachvil, Bruce Gilden, Joesf Koudelka, Raymond Depardon and others.
- The topics listed in the course below are presented with technical and practical information with images of acclaimed photographers listed above.
- Classes 2-5: Review of homework with feedback and discussion is included.
- Class 1: Introduction to photographic style. How to build your own?
- Class 2: Techniques for creating a range of visual characteristics
- Class 3: Introduction to flash photography. Flash aesthetics.
- Class 4: Practical decisions that enhance your picture taking process
- Class 5: Inspiration and artistic expression – how to bring meaning to your work?
- 88 Rue de Saint-Jean, 1201 Geneva
- Public transport: bus 7 stop Ormeaux tram 15 stop Mercier
- Walking: 3 minutes from Manor department store or 6 minutes Cornavin railway station
You can also check out more student samples here