The elements of representation
- Capture authentic expressions
- Learn how to deal with the person in front of your lens
- Discover a range of lighting techniques
Registration and price
- 7h00 hours of teaching and shooting
- Sundays 10h-18h. Participants: 3-8 people.
- Price CHF 220.-
Perhaps the most gratifying, but most difficult, form of photography is the portrait. Capturing the essence of someone – anyone from loved ones to acquaintances to enemies to strangers – is a skill that requires both elevated technique and a desire to really see and interact with people. But with a few focused lessons, you can be well on your way! We’ll cover all technical and practical issues in depth, with a special emphasis on communicating with your sitter. In this workshop your artistic expression and individual approach is paramount: we’ll discuss non-verbal communication, intuition, and sensitivity for your best results. I will present a range of lighting techniques and a series of slideshows to help you get inspired.
What you will learn
- Psychology of portraiture: self-marketing, social media, beautification, cultural norms
- Types of portrait: natural, action, reportage, posed, reaction, presentation, commercial
- People skills: talking, interacting, having fun, silence, confidence, re-assuring
- Natural ighting: window lighting, ambient lighting, outdoors, using a reflector
- Flash lighting: studio flash, off camera cobra flash, diffusers and accessories, radio triggers and receptors, camera settings, creating form and contrast, using flash outdoors, basic studio lighting concepts and set ups
- Creative visuals: focal perspective, depth of field, composition, environment
- 9h45: Tea and coffee at studio
- 10h00-13h00: Theory presentations, slideshows and demonstrations
- 13h30-14h30: Lunch at a nearby restaurant (meal not included in workshop price)
- 15h00-17h30: 3 outdoor locations for taking portraits, with flash and without
- 18h00: We wrap things up at the studio
A review session, with individual feedback, is included at my studio on a weeknight after the workshop has taken place. The Photo Review date for your workshop is indicated on the registration page.
Photo gallery below
Some samples below. Please also view the STUDENT GALLERIES