The all-seeing eye
- Learn to walk down the street with a photographer’s eye: it’s a particular skill
- Take powerful images in a split second: life is once, forever, you can’t rewind
- Get over your fear of photographing the world around you: including people
Registration and price
- 7h00 hours of teaching and shooting
- Saturdays 10h-18h. Participants: 3-8 people.
- Normal Price : CHF 220.-
Many of the greats in this medium earned their reputations prowling around their metropolises: William Klein, Bruce Davidson, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Vivian Maier. This workshop is about finding stories, mystery, and intrigue, and then capturing it all in a beautiful image. This full day, hands-on course is designed for all levels, and covers the technical and practical aspects of photographing in public. We also focus on your individual approach and artistic expression. Before we hit the town, we’ll have an in-depth theory session during which I will demonstrate a variety of street shooting techniques, including crucial human elements and practical decisions for interaction that are essential for street photography.
What you will learn
- Photographic style: content, focal length, aesthetics, personal approach, communication, emotion
- Street masters: HCB, William Klein, Garry Winogrand, Joel Meyerowitz, Alex Webb, Jacob Sobol
- Shooting in the street: camera settings, ISO, focal perspective, hyper-focal focusing, movement and panning effects, depth of field, composition, the decisive moment, developing street scenes
- People skills: 90 degree concept and body positioning, engaging with strangers, getting close, confidence, making your case, non verbal communication, observation and anticipation
- 9h45: Tea and coffee at studio
- 10h00-12h30: Theory presentations and slideshows
- 13h00-14h00: Lunch in a local restaurant (not included in workshop price)
- 14h30-17H30: 4 different shooting locations to cover specific ideas, with briefings and demonstrations
- 17h30: Finish in Geneva city center
A feedback session is included on a weeknight after the workshop has taken place. The Photo Review date for your workshop is indicated on the registration page.
Below you can see samples of street photography. Please also consult the STUDENT GALLERIES